Saturday, July 19, 2014

No painting is a waste of time!

I found few, if any, paintings are a waste of time. Like canvas #910, small at 44x40, potentially a nice work, suffered multiple interruptions and eventually lost its way.  I have step-photos to prove it! We gotta take the bad with the good so here it is. I promise, the good is here, somewhere!
SESSION 1
910-1 44x40
Using gold leaf as a decorative detail
SESSION 2
910-2 Progress
SESSION 3
910-3 Progress
Detail of gold leaf
SESSION 4
(3) STAGES OF DESATURATION
I was curious if repeated colour washes in pale pinks and blue would accomplish less saturation without losing any depth of field. In the end I'm not sure it added anything. It probably did kill some of the depth.   

910 Koi & Twig 44x40 oil on linen 7-16-14 
The design idea, using a life size top view of a Koi - basically filling the canvas as I did here was on target, but my execution failed miserably. The painting is much too decorative, dull and boring for my taste as a painter of light!

 I just need a fresh start and here it is....:=)

# 911 FRESH START
 911 Koi & Sunlight 44x40 oil on linen (7-18-14)

Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment