Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Was my last painting the beginning of a roll?

Perhaps! Perhaps not! My typical roll is a series of paintings one after another without any breaks between, lasting until all the steam is used. I haven't experienced one in sometime. I expect because  my current learning curve is a moving target. In any event, one of the things that came out of the last few months was cropping images down to simpler compositions as in "more is less". I have to admit it didn't always work well but it did get me moving towards more simpler compositions with strong focal points, like # 904, 905, 910 and #912, the Alla prima 36x36 painting  below. Happy with my short time at the easel, I signed it and stretched another 36x36 canvas for the next morning.
BUT! Sometimes a tiny second session can make a huge difference, especially when it comes to light and depth of field.....
SESSION 1 (Alla prima)
SESSION 2
  912 Fog and Sunlight Effect on the Delaware River 36x36 oil on linen (7-22-14)

I had to wait several days for this one to dry, but think it was worth the wait because now I have (2) in a row I like, my last one 911 and this one...:=)

Later....

No comments:

Post a Comment