Tuesday, July 29, 2014

From a suspected roll to a learning curve, painting Scullers

Back in 2009 I fostered a real interest in scullers , played with it, even made a few finished paintings, then moved on. At the time I thought a great addition to a river subject. Can't say I've come across it much by other American painters than perhaps a painting by Eakins years ago. I know rowing is a big sport, here and abroad.  My daughter was on the UCLA rowing team and totally committed during her (4) year stay.

 SESSION I
914-1  Progress 30x30 oil on linen (7-24-14)

The morning sun is intersecting the shell's bow causing bounce back light so it's a good painting challenge  - so far, fun to mess with.
SESSION 2
914 Shadows 30x30 oil on linen (7-25-14)

My last day was spent on the sculler details, more and more! A bit problematic because paint quality was hard to maintain in a small work area. All-in-all it reads well at a distance, not a bad result for my first go at it......more practice!

 Detail of most challenging section.

GROUP PHOTO (last 3 paintings)
 Sometimes studying a group of paintings like this helps keeps the momentum going in the right direction

Top (914), bottom left (912) and bottom right (913)

The sculler has me thinking more seriously of another painting I'd like to do along the same lines, but not yet. Looking here, with the rest, my little 914 sculler painting is telling me I need more practice. Looks like my tiny roll is shifting into a learning curve so I suspect a few more are on the way:=)

My evening break will be researching Eakins.  I know nothing about him other than a few paintings in my art history books - typical school boy, pictures were more interesting than print....although still true of the old guy, I will read the print if it looks interesting.

Later......

No comments:

Post a Comment