Sunday, August 3, 2014

Canvas 915 has a life to live.

Yes alive, to live, and more importantly, on the off chance, immortality.  What makes that happen? What makes art survive history's misfortunes? Something to ponder when thinking about art.....

THE END OF MY ROLL!
I know, because I shifted gears and it got a bit sticky; matter of fact, I'm still stuck in it! But, not canvas 915, it's good to go!

 915 Morning Training 44x40 oil on linen (7-29-14)

When I paint, I'm after a believable illusion; when I get it, I stop. I work fast, decisions are made fast and moved on equally as fast. When done successfully, I find light and movement for me comes off best....even touchable. 

I want a viewer to walk up and put their fingers in it! The future of canvas 915 depends on it!

Morning Training has to hold them or stop them in their tracks. If they walk by quickly......well what can I say. Sometimes it jumps out and nothing more is needed to get their attention. Time will tell if this painting works for someone else..... in my mind, the second stage of a paintings life. As an artist, I only control the first stage, the one I'm most concerned about. The rest I leave to the painting and it's future life - will it be lucky or will it go badly? What an incredible parallel to life and that of a painting....how cool is that!

A worthy "less is more" quote from Phil Levine news letter

"SIMPLICITY IS THE ULTIMATE SOPHISTICATION" 
Leonardo Da Vinci

Later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment