Sunday, August 24, 2014

Canvas 917

Well here I am again studying a blank 48x44 canvas on my easel, wondering what it will become. I also have a stack of photos I'm shuffling about. It's down to Venice, some beach figures or a very handsome flamingo.

It's 9:25 am and Venice won out over the flamingo....however he could be next!

DAY 1

WOW! I got into this one, spent the whole day, not just the morning, but the afternoon too! Hope it holds tomorrow !

DETAILS



DAY 2

Another good day at the easel. The sun is there but high above the fog line. I always knew it would be. To accommodate it I made some very subtle colour shifts in the upper fog. Today, I'll beef that up a bit more so the eye will follow down to my water reflection.

DETAIL
I imagine him to be a retired gondolier, remembering....

It'll be curious how he plays out in the final painting. Given the vast spacial volume in relation to this figure, will he command singular focus.....even over the suns hot reflection?  If he does, then my mission was accomplished.

DAY 3
917 Remembering... 48x44 oil on linen (8-21-14)

DETAIL


I'm not sure how I feel about this one. My heavy use of white with neutral greys is a different palette for me. It does have an interesting aspect when light hits it; whites become warm and it brightens up the sunlight feel, as though it was about to clear up very fast.

Did my little figure hold singularity?  Asked an artist friend where his eye landed.....he didn't mention it, until I brought it to his attention.

"The old man on the dock is in my first eye move along that triangulation path - my eye first goes to the highlight on the water, and then the pink red makes my eye move from the water to that area. Plus, the angled gondolas do that shift also."

I don't know if that qualifies, so I used a title that might help it along.......we'll see:=)

Later....

No comments:

Post a Comment