Friday, August 15, 2014

A weeks worth of paint and canvas - 899 3rd rework!

This blog post was written and deleted daily as I would type my frustrations, bitch and mumble profanities (not printable). All having to do with the 3rd modification of an existing work. Every morning I woke up with my "Chuck it now"! This is crap! Move on plan!

Then without notice each morning I would pick up my brush and go another round with #899, a 72x96 canvas. This time it took (13) days to cross the finish line and it wasn't a straight line either. It took (8) days to let go of the original work; difficult, but once I did, the painting started making sense.

INSPIRATION, ORIGINAL STARTING POINT & 13 DAY MERRY-GO-ROUND
 Red Chihuly Pond Reeds at - Virginia Museum of Fine Art


 "Chuck it now"! This is crap! Move on plan!

Clearly my thinking on day 8, as an artist friend of mine would say, "Gutted", with the only hope left, a "crop job". Not a great outcome, however while playing with it in Photoshop, I could see possibilities again; one of my favorite passages had to go! Then without warning picked up my brush and destroyed it.....LOL!

TURNING POINT

Day 8 saw a breakthrough, because on day 9, I didn't wake up with my "Chuck it now"! This is crap! Move on plan!

DAY 8
DAY 9
DAY 10
 Sun drenching iris tips for more foreground glow
DAY 11
During late evening study time I wiped out some of the left iris - seemed to be competing with my main light focus. It may need more editing. I'm also losing an important perspective angle; plus, a few equal spacing issues at the bottom need attention. 
DAY 12
 Day 13
899 Red Pond Reeds 72x96 oil on linen (8-12-14)

After day (8) my repaint moved back into the fun column. I was very careful only using my fresh morning hours as the baseline for the days session. Most of my attention was on the foreground and some hash marks I originally used to break up vertical massing. Inadvertently, they turned into some sort of red iris flowers; a device that allowed sunlight to move forward through the red reeds, slowly establishing a touchable dimension........fairly powerful on a large canvas.

later....

No comments:

Post a Comment