Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Much about nothing and the start of canvas 916

One of those days/mornings, thinking about whats next and #916, a fresh 48x44 canvas. Nice really; my last one is off the easel and soon will enter a life of its own as a painting. I like it better off the easel too, because I'm no longer looking for things that need noodling but enjoying the result and wondering about its future.

September is just a few weeks away.....WOW! Where did this year go? Galleries are waking up from a sleepy summer, thinking about their fall schedule and wondering if there is any new work?  It's also the last opportunity for a canvas to find a new home. So, the next few months will be more about that, than actual painting. The only thing certain, I'm not ready for the Fall season or all the pickup and delivery tasks that lay ahead. Of course opening nights will make up for it.... always fun to sip wine, see what's new and hear about exciting summer trips. 

It's 9:15am and I know what #916 will be about.....something I'm not finished with yet, a sunrise and a solo sculler and this little study from early 2010.

232 Sculler 8x10 oil on panel (1-23-10)

DAY 1


DAY 2

DETAIL

916 is signed, but not quite finished. I have a few punctuations left. Hopefully it will be dry enough in the morning so I can knock those out. I don't have a title yet... funny how sometimes that's as important as the painting itself. Until one pops up it will be Soloist or 916.

His projecting oar was a challenge. I finally added a bit of green to white - it was the only way I could get it to pop against all the warm background. Once it's dry I can play with those highlights more....perhaps increase my shadows some in the process. 

DAY 3
916 Soloist 48x44 oil on linen (8-18-14)

DETAIL
 Using cool whites worked well for my scull highlights - basically reflecting the clear morning sky above.
 

In this series of paintings I seem to be trending sun and fog effects, so it looks like my "new directions" search left the room with canvas 899 for a "less-is-more" position; a position I'm good with.  Messing with gold leaf didn't hang around much either... although I did have fun with that. I still think if there ever is a new direction, it will be on a large canvas like 899. I got closer there than anywhere....especially the 2nd version without the fish (below)

899 Pond Reflections 2nd version 72x96 oil on linen

I have a feeling my roll is still intact...:=)

Later......

No comments:

Post a Comment