Sunday, September 7, 2014

Canvas 924

My plan is to continue along the same line of thought as my last AIR paintings. Only now, I'm looking for more expressive brushwork, stylized with closer colour harmony. Canvas 924 will be another large one at 72x56 using the other AIR BIT study 921 (below) as my colour chip.

921 AIR 20x20 oil on linen ( 8-30-14)

One of the things I always want in my work is touchable depth... not flat looking, but depth of field as in a 3d feel. When achieved, it's a very cool effect in a painting but powerful at scale.

PROGRESS 924

My first move in cadmium yellow quickly established my light pattern and a basic design movement throughout the canvas.


Easel view - I mixed up small pots of colour in a diluted medium. It allowed me the freedom to move very fast and not change my brush size (1" wide bright or filbert). Using the pot system I can load it with paint allowing much more background interest to happen quickly.


The cleaned up image presents a stronger design from the start and it only took a few hours to establish as opposed to days.


I started with a bold look; but as in my small study I'm interested in exploring more subtle combinations of textured colour against scrubbed down neutral surfaces.....a process of refinement. It's a continual give and take. Some parts are working and others still need attention. Sometimes it looks like a lot of colour scribbling which it actually is. In the end it has to be strong enough to entice and then captivate.


I think it looks better in the flesh and size does make a difference in how it's perceived......but it's not done.

924 AIR 72x56 oil on linen (9-6-14)

Do I have a process or something that might work as transitional middle ground to the commentary art world? Fun to speculate a bit;=)

Later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment