Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Cyber visit with Gold Master Klimt

Gustav Klimt is a name synonymous with gold - I guess it was only time before he re-entered the room or I landed on his door step........and did he! The crazy part, if it was not for a phone call yesterday where his name was mentioned, I don't think he would have.



This morning after more researching the gold master on Google images it became clear the timing was right. Gotta like a guy whose preferred painting shape was a square.  Kinda think he also liked elongated rectangles too.......


I was blown away by his range and that the landscape was also part of his routine.... something I didn't realize, something I like to paint. I started my new gold series out with Koi, a subject that can be very stylistically pliable.......  something I have no problem doing. My other subjects are a bit more problematic or so I thought, until I looked at what Klimt did with his subject range.


While I'm not sure if he ever used gold in his landscapes it's not a stretch to think he could - One thing obvious here, he's not out of step... I see his influence everywhere in design and arts today.


My cyber visit was timely tho, I will have to use a stylized landscape composition if I ever hope to give subject range to the collection. Klimt's approach, influenced by the Egyptian mania of his time, is far too structured for my vision or what I want from my gold series.

Have to work on that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment