Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Experimentation

Most of my sideline chores are done. My break-time visit with the gold master Gustav Klimt tells me it's time to give Koi a winter break and switch to the landscape with horses and Gold sprinkles.

CANVAS 1015 14X18

DETAILS
There was no good place to sign it so I used a pencil with a red dot...kinda works.

One of the issues I can see using gold leaf is it will be viewed as a decorative gimmick - aside from that, it's very tricky stuff because it also pops in diminished light as a singular design element not necessarily related to the whole. Something that has to be taken seriously or at least accounted for - so far I just add more or remove anything out of balance.......the rule, more discreet the better. A very good example of this "chameleon" effect is shown below. 

Although if it were defined objects (perhaps why it worked well for Klimt) it may be a different story. Klimt's approach, influenced by the Egyptian mania of his time is far too structured for my vision or what I want from this series.

CANVAS 1016 16x11
Studio lights - looks promising
However natural light - not so promising

COMPLETED CANVAS
 Studio lights - heavily defused edges
Natural light - heavily defused edges

DETAIL
Detail - promising

CANVAS 1017 8x10

Studio lights

COMPLETED CANVAS
Natural light

DETAILS
Detail - promising, and I like the pencil signature with the red dot

No comments:

Post a Comment