Thursday, March 17, 2016

Paint-by-numbers and Walter Foster Art Books

PAINT BY NUMBERS


I have fond memories with a distant mid-century phenomenon, the paint-by-number set. In my case it was my introduction to oil painting. Paint-by-numbers quickly led to blending and Walter Foster books, paint and paper canvas pads. Growing up I was a constant in the library's arts and crafts section where I found myself with the masters of art, architecture and design. When it comes to oil painting I'm completely self-taught. Oddly I never looked at art or design as a pastime - something enjoyable to do on a weekend. I was absolutely hardwired to do that and only that. One of the benefits of age, one can look back and know it was true.

There's a lot to be said for the paint-by-number set. It's a simple effective lesson on colour, light and shadow. As a preteen it sticks without much explanation. Like mixing yellow and blue tempera paint to make green in kindergarten. We don't seem to forget it!

Paint-by-numbers is still alive and kicking if Google images is any indication. I also came across this site "PaintaPic" that personalizes it today.


Typical paint-by-numbers in the early 50's 

The Foster books were, in my day, treasured examples of easily understood information. Often used to formulate ideas or used as comparative samples against myself. To my utter surprise the books are still around - in my time only a dollar.

I suspect my expressive wet-in-wet techniques can be traced back to long forgotten Leon Franks clowns and Robert Woods seascapes.


ROBERT WOODS ORIGINAL
Robert Woods Seascape for sale $22,000

Coincidentally, I might actually get to see this one at the Southwest Gallery in Dallas this coming May....how cool will that be!

Who da guessed!!

2 comments:

  1. I admit, I have not been on web page in a long time.however it was another joy to see It is such an important topic and ignored by so many, even professionals. professionals. I thank you to help making people more aware of possible issues. Paint by numbers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding me of this old but important post. I think art is one of the best trips ever. I hope you enjoy your journey as an artist..... it never stops giving !!

    ReplyDelete