Thursday, May 5, 2016

How fast is fast - thinking out loud

Last Sunday "In the studio" at Crossroads was fast....even for me. Sunday I had a nice group to play with which is obviously why it went so fast. In truth, over the last 7 or 8 weeks or so doing the Sunday demos, I got comfortable working faster than normal - developing a very efficient way of getting to the finished line. My personal goal is a more completed painting than the previous one. 

SUNDAY "IN THE STUDIO" - May 1st
Vermilion Koi 30x30 oil on linen (5-1-16 canvas 1037) 

I realize from questions how little is understood about how colour really works. How to play one colour against the other. It's been a constant over the last 7 weeks. This time I stood to the side so they would get a better view while I painted. I also chatted more about the colours I was using and sometimes why.

Some are actually using limited colour palettes. Why? Something I never understood. Colour is there to be used and exploited. Some colours cannot be mixed from basic red, blue and yellow. Although, that being said, this tirade is the basis for my approach to colour.

Unchartered territory, at least for me,

 

No comments:

Post a Comment