Thursday, March 1, 2018

Freewheeling - "One-a-day"

My freewheeling  project morphed to "one-a-day" atmospheric paintings using the same view and size.....that is until boredom sets in.

Every few days I cut a 27" strip off an 84" roll into (3) 27x27 squares which will finish 24x24 stretched.  By the way this is an extremely cost effective way to work at any size. I also found pinning/clipping 2 or 3 canvas up at a time cushions the surface.


I like to frame the fresh canvas with blue tape - when removed it leaves a clean edge that looks more professional.

I'm also using scrap shipping cardboard as a support. The cardboard also works well for storage and drying supports. When touch dry I clip another wet one over it. You could easily stack a dozen on each piece and store vertical..... stretch and frame as needed.


SATURDAY CLEANED UP
 Saturday 24x24 oil on linen (2-24-18 canvas 1217)



 SUNDAY
Sunday 24x24 oil on linen (2-25-18 canvas 1218)


 MONDAY
Monday 24x24 oil on linen (2-26-18 canvas 1219)


TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY
Tuesday/Wednesday 24x24 oil on linen (2-28-18 canvas 1220)


Why do this? I do it because this is an excellent learning tool, a good exercise to develop subjects and intuitive painting. I'm of the school, paint and brush quality suffer the longer you work on a painting. The essence/mood is also in danger of a slow death too!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment