Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A weeks worth of paint and canvas

Nice quiet week painting - well almost...contractor Greg was here replacing our wood deck and installing a small deck pond adjacent to my studio.

It has a very cool Florentine Lead fountain for a bit of splash and noise. The pond was designed to hold a few water lilies and perhaps a couple of Koi......a little zen for the old painter.



 THIS WEEKS PAINTING

842 Koi and Lilies 48x72 oil on linen (7-14-13)

MY REFERENCE MATERIAL


Left is a painting I want another version of using some new Koi photos from Maymont. The right photo is the background reference I used.

MY CANVAS

#842 - 48x72 oil primed linen

MY OUTLINE


MY BACKGROUND PAINTING quickly establishes my all important abstract shapes - the important stuff




 
 DETAILS

 

 

 

 

BEACH BREAK

Saturday I had to deliver some paintings - nice opportunity for a bit of beach plein air and perhaps capture a few photos for an up an upcoming beach show called "Matadors of the Sea"; its tied into the East Coast Surfing open in late August......

It was a good day at the beach. I went with a painter friend and we both got in early morning painting, seriously rained on, and lots of great photos.....even a few surfing shots at 1st street. However we were a little ill prepared for beach painting and the hot sun....next time:=)

I was really after wave shots. I need a very large anchor painting for the August show. Originally I planned it as a single "in your face" wave. Now I'm leaning towards adding the human element of children and adults doing battle with the thundering surf.







NAP TIME!


Later......

No comments:

Post a Comment