Monday, July 29, 2013

Day One - Canvas #850

I really started this weeks painting toward the end of last week with a very large canvas so it was an in process painting and not included.

Funny how these things get going - it wasn't my intent because I planned to stay on the beach theme for a while longer....but as a break after the wave study I stretched some canvas which led to a very large 84x72 canvas below.


The stretcher bars on the floor measure 84x72 (largest I had)


My 84" canvas roll was cut to 84x90 allowing enough material for a full gallery wrap...very easy to do (link to previous post) With primed face to floor my stretchers are centered and ready for stapling process.


My canvas is ready for shrinking because it will be loose....It's very hard to get it taut at this size. Nice thing about linen, it shrinks easily; perhaps cotton canvas does too.


I placed it on the easel back side out making sure it's secured and square to the easel because, otherwise, it will warp during the process (could be left on the floor - the weight and size will keep it flat) I use a simple spray bottle filled with tap water to heavily spray the back side as shown.


I turned the canvas after it dried. It's big at 84x72 but I like the size and think 84" will be my maximum height for the studios 8-foot ceiling.


No more step stools or ladders required - stepping back is safe and wide open for long range viewing.


No more stooping or lying on the floor with the Hughes wall mount easel. My canvas is always in a comfortable painting position. This will be the first real test run on painting a tall canvas. I'm very excited and looking forward to morning and a new painting experience......but for now getting use to the size and thinking about what to paint is in order.   


Later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment