Saturday, July 27, 2013

A Weeks worth of paint and canvas

The days and weeks are going fast......must be having fun. I have settled in to my new studio set up and it's making a difference. The only thing left is to permanently install my lighting system - still using cords and clip on lights. Still on the beach theme.....still looking for the perfect wave to paint.



848 A Day at the Beach 20x20 oil on linen (7-21-13)

 
I have to get serious about this wave painting needed for an upcoming show. What I need is a large version of 583 Breaking Thunder 44x40 (cropped) below. My trip to the beach gave me some good reference and with some modifications...some possibilities.



 WAVE STUDY

  Reference

 849-1 Wave study with figure 14x40 oil on linen (7-22-13)

 849 A Day at the Beach 14x40 oil on linen (7-24-13)

DETAILS




An interesting observation when studying the details and the Breaking Thunder painting - because its a learning study I followed the photo closely plus a very small painting in comparison.....a bit tight on space if you will. My objective here was learning about the complicated movement and details of this particular wave. Not so much about paint quality and aesthetics, which Breaking Thunder was all about. In reality it tells me I was painting the photo not the essence of the subject my reference represented.

The nice thing about painting "big and knowing your subject" is the spontaneous movement is much easier to do because it becomes a natural full body movement with the room to do it, as opposed to a constricted one controlled by space. The 14x40 study took 2 1/2 full days and Breaking Thunder was one Alla prima session. Time doesn't have a lot to do with a good outcome....experience does. Know your subject well then give it your best shot! Small or large!
 
KENSON'S FIRST RED OTTOMAN GALLERY VISIT 


This is a great image of Kenson sitting on the red ottoman totally absorbed in what must have been an enormous painting for her young eyes. Kenson was also experiencing her very first gallery opening with her grandparents Marla and Ned Coleman. They where at the Crossroads open house last Friday night. As proudly reported by her grandmother, Kenson took the experience very seriously. 

I missed the opening. I was attending the opening reception Aquatic at the Peninsula Fine Art Center. A wonderful exhibit and center for the arts. If you get a chance take the time to visit, I promise you won't be disappointed. 

It's at the Mariners' Museum Park, 101 Museum Drive, Newport News, VA 23606  
 
later....

No comments:

Post a Comment