Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Day Two - Canvas #850-1

Painting #850 (84x72) will be a landscape with pond and blue iris. Will it have Koi and lilies? I don't know at this point. My main reference is this photo from a recent plein air outing at Maymont and the dappled sunlight effects remembered.


The pond did have Koi and a lot of tree canopy so the sun had dappled effects all day and that's what I'm interested in capturing; I was not able to in plein air.







Much of the early morning was spent establishing a shadow rhythm in deep colours like Dioxazine Purple, Alizarin Crimson and Sienna with French ultramarine Blue. Now I have some defined areas I can start working on as groups or independently....divide and conquer
 
Riley napping


Once my pattern was established, I started back at the top filling in the white spaces. I added Oxide green and some French violets to my palette; plus Naples, White and Alizarin Orange (very interesting colour from Williamsburg)

I'm using two brushes; a # 10 Royal SG4590 flat and #8 Royal SG4520 filbert. 
 


Background is fairly easy to do on a large scale so this moves quickly for me. I'm also taking some time to cover the canvas completely in some areas I won't come back into. Easier to do it at the front end than later because fixing small white holidays can take serious time and cause you to cover some good passages. 


Detail of typical brush work...many cases using pure colour.........end of day two

Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment