Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A weeks worth of paint and canvas

Time for a break. I'm pleased with my figure painting progress; I stayed on plan. And certainly glad I did, because I'm not remotely ready to tackle a more ambitious painting yet. In the mean time the real world beckons. If I want to keep my galleries happy and if I want to sell, its time for a break from R&D. However only a small break, because I intend staying on track until I get what I'm after.

After a few years you get an idea what sells and what doesn't........right! Well in truth, that's an open book, but it's a clue and one of the reasons to paint. It keeps the game moving in multiple directions and by default keeps the game fresh. That being said....time for the "money makers". Actually I like doing them because generally these are the ones, at least for me, refereed commonly as so called "zone paintings"; you know the score, you play the music at your best. In my case it's atmosphere!

 VENICE FIRST STOP!

Canvas 887 Venice 30x30 - Sienna wash

 Sun reference - Delaware sunrise experienced last summer

Stage 1 - horizon stopping point

 887 Morning Rush 30x30 oil on linen (2-7-14)

HISTORY  CHECK

I thought this was a new view for me but as it turned I messed with it back in 2010 using the actual sun as my reference (plein air). Might be fun to see if there's any progress?

236 - 8x10 actual sunrise using Venice as my setting

237 - 11x14 studio off the 236 study

Mmmmm....I'm thinking perhaps the little guys are better. My little guys have air, clearly defined shapes - can't say that about my latest because my gondolas are too close together...I have some basic decluttering left so with that in mind back to it!

Crop of crowded gondolas - like paintings on a wall, they need air too!

Revised - better with more air and definition

Final version

Much happier with my revised version, certainly time well spent. I'll be more careful next time!

Later....



No comments:

Post a Comment