Wednesday, February 19, 2014

LOL.....You gotta love failure to excel in this game!

It causes you to become more determined to raise the bar and makes success even more appreciated!

My 1st attempt at Venice commission was remarkably OFF! Clinking back and forth on my blog images this morning it's even more glaring how off target I really was!......I know a credible second version is within my ability as a painter. It's in my nature to dig in when confronted with something I know I can control the out come of.....like this!

Regrouping, I spent the day stretching canvas and ended with some time left to paint this little 20x20 Sun painting below. It's a view of the Belle Isle Quarry in the middle of the James River. This is a typical sunset there and very much like a sunrise I see from my studio windows overlooking an old farmers field. Back in 2009, I did a 15-Minute Sunrise series of 8x10 En Plein Air paintings. It was perhaps one of the best learning curves I ever experienced while painting.....of course morning fog always played a large part in my reason to do it in the first place.....in combination with the sun, very impressive stuff! My view is not that exciting so I drop in different views like below. Turned out to be a good move because now I can apply the sun and the experience to any subject I choose to paint. If you were to review my painting history as I did last night, one could say it became the foundation of what I paint today.

 LITTLE TIME TO PAINT
890 Quarry Sun 20X20 oil on linen (2-18-14)

Today, I go in for cataract surgery on my left eye; an annoying problem for a daily painter as I am. It's not a colour thing so much as a smear on my eye that can't be corrected with glasses anymore. Something I didn't know, they also put in a corrective lens; so perhaps tomorrow I'll see better and without glasses! How cool would that be:=)

Later....




No comments:

Post a Comment