Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Commissions...gurrrr

I got bogged down, knew it would be testy at best......always a serious challenge repeating oneself. Occasionally I like trying my hand at it. Although not exactly a commission requirement......only the colour and soft nature of this painting was. However, this was the painting they wanted but was too large for their space over the mantle. I fear anything else will be a disappointment. So getting the feel is important!

BASELINE

550 Merging of light and water 72x60 oil on linen

COMPARISON TIME......Oops!

 889-6a Session Six (morning) 48x44 oil on linen (2-16-14)

My side by side quickly revealed how off colour I am......however, not this obvious in the flesh - in fact from 30 feet it seemed on target......my suns location is more left and intersecting the Salute...perhaps marginally acceptable. What is not acceptable was the use of Alizarin Orange - it never occurred to me how much impact it would actually have. The more saturated cerulean blue, which I liked very much, was acceptable. 

I inadvertently used a relatively new colour for me, Williamsburg Alizarin Orange. It got in the mix and I limited a very important one, Williamsburg French Ultra Marine, an unusual tone which the original revolved around......on the surface, not earth shattering, but it was. 

SOME QUICK MOVES

 
889-6b Session Six (afternoon) - modified sky

After some very quick afternoon modifications to my sky, using Williamsburg French Ultramarine Blue, was definitely back on track. But, it would require repainting some of my moves which have to be done wet-in-wet......harder in a repaint. Knowing that, and my misstep, I can get a better result with a fresh canvas, than meddling further with this painting. Don't get me wrong, it's not a clunker, just not the painting my client was expecting. 

I'll sleep on it; perhaps make a few subtle improvements, stretch a new 48x44 canvas or two.....hard to say here. After all, this is a commission, predicated on client expectations. As a designer, I know the rules; all my furniture was manufactured, custom designs. Any complicated or new design, we always made two; one to work out the kinks, the last for the client. We never gave them R&D......if you do, it never works !

Back to it!

Later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment