Sunday, February 23, 2014

Small pieces of time

I had eye surgery to remove a cataract from my left eye....as they say, very easy, very fast! As luck has it, I didn't lose much time from my easel either....perhaps 2 days at the most. So with all that's going on I'm left with little bits of time.

Getting bored silly I picked up from my last painting with the idea of doing another version of the sun....again on a 20x20 because of time. At the last minute, I decided to use a few wild ponies in my foggy dawn pasture setting.

891 The Sentries 20x20 oil on linen (2-21-14)

After adding the ponies, the concept and arrangement worked for me, but from 30 feet my central horse shape feels off.....I spent an a inordinate  amount of time working on it before throwing in the towel as a lost cause.

The following day with a fresh eye, I could see the error of my ways - no point not fixing it so out with my scraper and red marker!


I have (2) issues circled in red; my far horse head is too small and my central horse hind section needs to be made lager and extended. His hoofs need to line up better (perspective is off).

BEFORE
AFTER

Much improved darkened distant pony added some needed contrast - extending and bulking up my central pony was on target....especially when viewed in full context below.

FINAL VERSION

Note: All the above images were taken indoors - the final image below was outdoors in morning filtered sun light and accurate to the original. Like my images above sometimes I can't sort it out with Photoshop.

891 Sentries 20x20 oil on linen (2-22-14)

I'm thinking it rates a move up in size...perhaps a few more ponies. This is like an extension of Dawn Passage completed in 2012......neat painting! Dawn Passage was not a small painting either, at 48x56 it ended up over a mantle. It was a really good size, enough elbow room to get in and work it!!

742 Dawn Passage 48x56 oil on linen (10-19-12)


The floater frame used worked well........anything much larger could work against the space and painting. A vertical format would have worked well here too.....perhaps my 1st choice. Once a hanger is installed it will be off the mantle and make more sense....it needs a little air at the bottom to break the horizontal molding line on either side of the mantle wall.

Later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment