Saturday, October 21, 2017

Anything goes, binge painting!

JAX's Playroom was a fun project. Now I'm ready for the serious stuff on my mind lately....and something I miss doing, "Binge painting"!

My stack of 40x36 canvases is ready to go! I plan to use it as exploratory, anything goes, binge paintings. My purpose is to advance an idea revolving around prism light qualities on shapes with perceived depth of field. I would eventually like it to be more abstract than representational. I did play around with some of this in "JAX's Playroom.

This could be a few canvases or dozens until I figure it out! Or better yet, until something captures my imagination and causes an avalanche of paintings!!

My first (below) could easily have been a one session wonder but I started midday right after Jax's Playroom. My legs pooped out......plus I actually liked it unfinished and did sign it. All the information was there. The fish where simple raw white canvas shapes, cleaned and  ready to go. The fish shadows were in because it was in the background. Wet-in-wet layering. (sadly no stage photos).

Spiral in White & Pink 36x40 oil on linen (10-18-17 canvas 1176)

The next morning I decided on "paint" for my white fish and added some rose  colour as a counter to green. Which means I'll use more counter colouring going forward. I thought it might be in rainbow sequence. "Spiral in White & Pink" is a bit stylized, but it does compliment a large canvas below executed about this time three years ago re-titled "Prism".

 THREE YEARS AGO
Prism 66x72 oil on linen (9-2-14 canvas 923)

"Prism" was a 2014 attempt at the same thing I'm doing now......reinvention! I took the idea as far as I could then and moved on. Now I'm coming full circle and picking up where I left off. I suppose it could be my baseline for "anything goes" this time.

  • This is a good example of moving on and coming back later with a bigger gun and taking another shot at it! Painting, making art is like that...constant reinvention.

My only hope is, my pet project, Swimming-in-Paint on weekends won't impact my progress, because this will require an extreme focus on my part to be successful. Normally I lock the cave doors until...

So team, be forewarned the coach could go MIA at anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment