Wednesday, October 11, 2017

My Serious side - Learning

I always look at a month's close as an opportunity to see if I made any progress or hopefully raised the bar a bit........ or not!

"LEARNING to leave well enough alone!"

Venice 20x24 2010

My biggest regret about this 2010 painting......too small!!! So I got the brainy idea to make a big one and see what difference time made......for the fun of it!

VENICE ON AN ALMOST SQUARE 2017
36x40
My favorite part of this painting was the starting shot.

 

COMPLETED
Vermilion Rain 36x40 oil on linen (9/23/17 canvas 1171)

 The original still rules!
Vermilion Rain 20x24 oil on linen panel (5-28-10 canvas 335)

Another moody painting was on my mind. Only this one, below, was destroyed with an unfortunate next morning move on my part and no longer exists. However it is a good comparison to my favorite small 2010 above.

 MY VENETIAN TRAGEDY! 
Lost 40x44 oil on linen (2-23-17 canvas 1123)

 AFTER

Last of the month! 
A BIG RED "X" because I planned it that way! Perhaps in another post I'll show the concept stages of deliberately changing each days results from a static baseline, studying the effects of the sun on fog until it got boringly dull! The fun part of my 11 day experimental  painting was painting the "X"!

Message to the team: Never go in expecting a masterpiece, only a best effort because good ones show up unexpectedly. Overthinking an idea will only give you an annoying headache and a crappy overcooked painting!! A cool solution to that is a BIG RED "X"


 
It Had It's Moments 30x30 oil on linen (9-24 to 11-5-17 canvas 1172)
(Experimental 11 day painting)

This was how September ended & October began!
A Sloppy Red "X"!

SOME relevant "QUOTES" heisted from Levine news letter


“The works must be conceived with fire in the soul but executed with clinical coolness.” – Joan Miro


“One who knows how to appreciate color relationships, the influence of one color with another, their contrasts and dissonances, is promised an infinite variety of images.” ~ Sonia Delaunay


“The true use of art is, first, to cultivate the artist’s own spiritual nature.” ~ George Inness


No comments:

Post a Comment