Sunday, October 8, 2017

Owning our time..

The Formality of it!
 Matador 48x44 oil on linen - private collection

I found as a recent painting coach, there are a lot of like minded self-driven career "adults or seniors", whatever label that works, that simply want a career change. Some are timid at first, all have the same drive...... not to fade away. That can mean a lot of different things, but, in the end, as someone said to me the other evening. "It feels "GREAT" to wake up in the morning, knowing I control what happens. Knowing I can do anything I want!" The freedom to choose. Owning my time!  Odd to hear someone else say it. I'm wired to own it, perhaps to the exclusion of everything. Perhaps everyone is but they never act on it or an opportunity never knocks. I think the difference is, if you are entrepreneurial, you create opportunity.

I think if you link a talent with an entrepreneurial nature in one body.... a stronger force happens and they will own their time or at least have more control over it by the choices made. Life beyond our control can easily mask our true callings.

When we eventually do gain control of our time....perhaps for the first time in our lives.... do we drift into retirement mode, find a rocking chair on the veranda to watch life pass by..... Or.......pursue the dormant talent waiting to be poked a bit. Perhaps a little itch to scratch passing time, supplement an income or a full blown career push.

One thing is very true, an art career requires an all-in commitment - essentially owning your time is a necessary requirement to success!

I also wonder if 10 or 15 years is enough of one thing, one job or one career. Maybe we need change to stay fresh. Maybe subtle or a total 180 all-in approach. Art can be that 180 shift. Making art is basically a solo act. Success and failure rest totally on the artist own shoulders... not employees or any outside forces. We either get up in the morning and make good art or not!

Coaching, passing it on; I enjoy adding a  push, a  challenge to an emerging talent. As an artist, a designer, a product developer and  a manufacturer I look at art from a different point of view... a view an artist might not see. The formality of a "Best Wall Painting"!


Koi & Lilies 40x44 oil on linen - private collection

No comments:

Post a Comment