Monday, October 9, 2017

One painting at a time!

 WORKING FAST!

Last week I had a date to do a very quick demo....hour and a half tops! I didn't quite finish. I didn't expect too, but hope! I upped the challenge with a 30x30 and answering some very interesting questions at the same time. When the bell rang I did sign the painting....my out!

So, because it was still fresh and wet, I had a choice back in the studio, move on or jump back in. That's what I did because I rather liked the painting and more importantly,  it still had my attention!

"FAST & FURIOUS or SLOW & DELIBERATE 

There is one rule I won't break, ONE PAINTING AT A TIME! Good or bad, when I can't take a painting any further, I sign off and move on. If I'm not happy with a particular issue, I work on it or remove it until I am. I find the next painting or the next, will improve and eventually resolve all issues.

  • Sometimes it's simple as clearing the room and changing subjects 

If I want to learn how to paint horses or waterfalls I paint horses or waterfalls until I can. When I get a good one, I change subjects. Painting is about problem solving, preferably fast, not over thinking it to frustration.

  • Working on a single subject, getting to understanding a subject with different views or quick studies over and over helps develop confidence.

Rendering intuitively takes time to gain an understanding and confidence to painting it. Painting a horse one time won't do that. Painting lots of horses in quick succession will!

  • Finish an idea before moving to the next. A horse can be center stage or simply support to a larger idea.

The good ones happen when they happen, often when you're not trying. The chances are better when you're comfortable with the subject, your materials and surroundings.

  • Learn how to paint the jesters and nuances intuitively, with lots of painting. 
  
Setting paintings aside, means you also set aside an idea you'll probably never find again. Surrounded by unfinished or unresolved paintings stacked around is not conducive to our creative energy.  It only reminds us of our failures..... unresolved issues.

NOTE:

I don't reuse old canvases for new paintings......ever. Attention to detail as an oil painter  also extends to a fresh surface. Up close I don't like to see any unrelated brushwork or texture not relevant to my painting. And gesso goes only so far and takes more time to come back to a pristine white surface than a fresh canvas.

  • Light travels through oil paint and is brighter and clearer when bouncing off white. If you're a tonal painter it wont matter as much, painting luminous light, it does!

If you wanna have fun painting, work fast & furious but deliberate! Don't think about it! Paint what you really want to see, follow the light with colour marks. Don't go in expecting a master piece.

  • The good ones show up unexpectedly. Overthinking an idea will only give you an annoying headache and a crappy overcooked painting!!

IF YOU DON'T LIKE SOMETHING ON A CANVAS REMOVE IT WITH SOFT COTTON CLOTH & MINERAL SPIRITS BEFORE IT DRIES....... MISTAKES ARE HARD TO COVER UP!

FINAL
The Costume 30x30 oil on linen (10-7-17 canvas 1173) 

No comments:

Post a Comment