Thursday, August 13, 2026

A weeks worth of paint and canvas - Canvas1506 - day 4 & 5

It's been a busy week at the gallery and time constraints forced me to combing two days into one post. 

Monday August 10, 2026:  The gallery is closed on Mondays, later that afternoon I came in, turned on the music and went to work.

 End of day canvas yesterday - 1506-3 

At days end the upper right hand sky concerned me big time. 

 Canvas 1506-4

The horizon line established, along with a few quick marks outline my original plan from the inception of Moments Alone - plus a few vertical marks for beach strollers set the scale for the final painting. 

I'm not happy with the Sky yet. I closed up the bare canvas around the sun - normally left towards the end. However, I needed to establish the glow pattern. After noodling in the clouds for quite a while  I dropped back to the lower section to get some fresh oxygen. 

  Canvas 1506-5

A little fresh air around the splash fountain I jumped back in. My focus is water and beach, working out the oceans rhythm, movement and colors.  This went very fast.

The figures set the scale 
 
Tuesday August 11, 2026:  
 
I'm into the 5th session and seriously concerned this painting will land into THE OVER COOKED category. 

I have the beach blocked in - lost one set of beach figures on left side.  Still not happy with the upper right dark cloud formation. The sky above was a bright tonal creamy blue - thinking I definitely need more of it showing.
And Then 

One thing led to another and suddenly the sky was expanded and the big black cloud reshaped - one more thing! My last move of the day was to reestablish the sun peeking through again. 
 
It still needs another pass tomorrow when it dries. 
   

1506-5 at days end
 
It was a long day - feeling better about the progress made, I called it a day....  

No comments:

Post a Comment