Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A weeks worth of paint and canvas (canvas 852)

Time is running out on my much needed wave painting for upcoming beach show opening next Thursday. The frame is ordered, I'm  down to the wire with only 6 or 7 paint days left and loosing steam on the project. I did get some great references from Saturdays beach trip, some of those I really want to explore in paint but are more figurative than wave action. If I expect to get done, I need a solid plan!


Canvas 852 is big at 48x96, I wanted it bigger but I don't have the right wave yet.

1st trip - proportionaly cropped wave action with nice morning sun sparkle. 
Note: sun left and some figures in wave

2nd trip - proportionaly cropped action shot with mid-day sun
Note: sun right

1st crop of central Frisbee figure 

 Detail crop - I like the guy in the background looking at me...unknowingly about to be pulverized by my proper 1st trip wave. The background figures are important to establishing scale between my wave and central figure.

I reversed my reference because sun will be left and I need the shadows right plus I also want the morning sun sparkle in my painting.

Two important details in my cental figure, the Frisbee and his feet, I have to get these right and if I do, this painting will have 3-dimensional depth in other words "the jump factor"



cut and paste

 Version 1 - a better wave day at the beach

Verson 1 - cropped with less sky

The cropped version is more what I have in mind for this painting, a more powerful composition, so I'll go with it.

 Final version with grid and less sky

 A WORKABLE PLAN



 Sepia wash drawing - basic placement


Working top down, completing all upper background to my main wave line. I still have punctuation and some adjustments left....better if it dries overnight and done in conjunction with the main wave.....tomorrows project.

 
Later....

No comments:

Post a Comment