Sunday, August 4, 2013

A weeks worth of paint and canvas (Days 1,2 and 3)

I got the bug to do some larger scale beach figures.....lots of them with lots of colour. I expect this will be a learning curve painting.

DAY ONE

Cropped beach reference to establish my basic concept


I decided on a 66x60 gallery wrap linen canvas

 My little helper Riley - his favorite part

Canvas #851 66x60 ready to go...but a bit late in the day.

Without a lot of time I'm using a quick mineral spirits block wash - not my norm at all.....neither was my palette layout.

 DAY TWO

I like this part in the distance; however my quick wash drawing is out scale. I'll fix it as I go.....beginning of learning curve. Get the drawing right first...LOL




Now I want to merge my two figures into my lower group of figures - here is where I deviate and pulled a second reference


I like the group at the top - same people but different angle. I especially like the "old salt" with the sailor hat on.


First pass on "old salt"

Second group pass. Will the two left figures stay in the back or move to the front?

I'll leave it here.

DAY THREE

Full view - lots of scale issues especially with the big umbrella and right figure......we'll see if I can connect the dots.

More umbrellas and work on the "old salt and a second pass on the young boy - plus the start of additional depth with some faint figures. I'm done with the mid horizon for now.

I need a third reference to connect my mid horizon with my bottom two figures

 This was a different time; my sun is coming from the right, but I like the diffused dad and child making a sand pile in the background.

This is going to work. The dads hat intersects my mid horizon and connects nicely into the yellow hat of my lower figure.

More detail and fill starts unifying my composition - scale is becoming believable. 

 After finishing out the dad and child, I wanted to break up the sand mass a bit more by adding a suggestion of another group merging into right beach cart.

   Lastly, to close up a few areas, like the beach cart, and start connecting the distant boy with the lower and right figure, which is totally out of scale....best left to the  next session. 

Later....

No comments:

Post a Comment