Saturday, August 3, 2013

Day Seven - Canvas 850-6

Today is a good day - Yesterday I could have signed off but I always like to sleep on it. I had a scale issue with a few lily flowers. They needed to be beefed up a bit and lastly I needed to punch up a leaf detail on my Iris clump. 

My single Lily is a bit small in the overall composition. I need to raise its height.

I can't go bigger without destroying one of my favorite passages above it...so I won't 

Now I want to merge the top of my lily into the background movement and add more shadow....a bit too severe. Besides, it doesn't feel right.


 The deed is done and it was a good compromise.

My reworked white lily caused a similar concern with the red group to the left....so


 I raised the central lily by adding a couple of larger petals and left everything else alone. 

Not a great photo but it shows a better scale between each lily group....more connected.

I wanted more lead in from my sunlight source on my Iris leaves -  the leaf detail below was the next logical place for it to happen.



 I didn't do much other than adjust the colour punctuation, but it was enough.


My original reference photo


My little 20x20 Plein air 


824 Maymont Iris pond plein air oil on linen (6-11-13)

A WEEKS WORTH OF PAINT AND CANVAS 

The results
 
#850 Blue Iris and Lilies 84x72 oil on linen (7-30-13)

Enormous comes to mind...I don't believe it could have happened without my new easel....thank you Don! Founder of Hughes Easels. 

Later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment