Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Much about nothing

My commission is still hanging out.... as it turned out Migration wasn't quite done......I spent a little more time (with a big brush) noodling a few things nagging me. I also painted my edges so when the panels are bolted together no holidays will crop up at my seams. I'll use a floater frame for this one.....I'm not keen on using gallery wrap presentations for representational art, more specifically mine. I also want it varnished before I do my final photo shoot. I use GAMVAR water white picture varnish; it's very thin, fast drying, only requires a light coat and gives a wonderful crispness to colour. The real beauty in this product tho, it can be applied as soon as the painting has touch dried...about a week if you use mediums......perhaps more if not. However, some colours take forever to dry so you have to make sure.

Over the last few days, in between everything else, I updated my inventory and images, especially the information. Looking back, I'm thankful I numbered my paintings with a pictorial record from the start... it includes a hard record stored in binders. The binders are always current and the information on my images evolved from a simple number to a title with basic information. Now everything is uniformly done. Even this is archaic with all the art inventory programs out there developed for gallery use. In my mind, keeping track of a paintings location or history is the difficult part....perhaps the next step for me. However it's done, curating work for show exhibitions is easier only because its a desktop operation. Now if only there were a program to make the selections.......which brings me to my next aimless thought.

One of my favorite internet stops each day is Art Net News  I never did follow the global art market or any artists for that matter.  It never had my interest, so all this is new to me......."fools and their money are soon parted" comes to mind with auction news. As an outsider, it's fascinating reading......with pictures. Frequently, descriptions don't match the art, but that's OK because I like looking at pictures. I have never been taken with the dark side of art or the twisted nature it can evolve from. I'm fairly simple, I like anything beautifully crafted regardless of style... anything that makes me smile or want to touch it. I don't look for hidden meanings or try figuring out why or multiplexing it to death.....lots of people are very capable of overcooking. It is what it is......but this stop gives me other perspectives........progress

I decided to use paintings from my existing collection for the solo at the Cultural Art Center. As it turned out I have more than enough, so all that's needed is a show title and a few words to describe it. One that fits based on the paintings is SIZING UP;  basically what I've been working on over the last 2 or 3 years....looks good to me! I even got a few descriptive words to go along (revamped a bit)......:=)

SIZING UP

An artist who enjoys a challenge, Chuck Larivey has spent the last three years “SIZING UP.”  His large scale oil paintings engage the viewer in a monumental way using size as a way to captivate the audience, making them part of the artistic experience.

INTERESTING READING if you donate your work....The broader economic implications of donating your art  


Timely, and I totally agree with its author! Recently I came to the conclusion it made more sense to pen a check, take a clean donation and be done with it!

The most successful one I was ever involved with was a painting actually donated to a foundation and it hangs on their walls. In turn, the painting was used as the paddle painting in a gala auction ....it raised well over $26,000 and no one had to take something home they didn't want. I thought it was a brilliant move by the foundation and under similar circumstances would do it again. I also support another cause where the paintings are gallery hung and sold at asking price and, if not, returned. In the end, I'm happy as long as the money gets to where it belongs regardless of how it gets there or who gets the credit.......but now after some experience, it's the only one I'll use my art to support! 

A reserve at auction keeps your work from going out at pennies...otherwise it will!

The IRS thing is another whole can of worms. Why does the buyer get credit for the donation? They get a painting and a full donation for money spent....kinda like double dipping to me....even worse, on a broader view, the American people just bought them a painting...ooops!

Somethings wrong with this picture! It seems out of sync and not in the spirit of supporting a cause. I don't know the history or care to take the time to find out. But, in the end I suspect the IRS thing revolves around big money.......

As a professional, my work has established value and should be worth more than the canvas and paint. After all, they don't mind taking a cut every April 15th.

Yesterday, I started pushing paint again, so my small commission is finally on the go.

Later..............


No comments:

Post a Comment