Monday, April 13, 2020

Monet detail

At night, and sometimes during the day I'll entertain myself on Instagram, download interesting tidbits that catch my attention.... Love screenshots! Monet got my attention last night; people are always taking photos of his painting at the Louvre in Paris. One place I would like to visit before you know when. I was in Nice for an extended time but never went to Paris.... misspent youth! Many Instagram posts have multiple shots, basically similar passed over mostly. I was really board and did click on one of the iconic oval room. I also went through my downloads and realize overtime there where many of the Master, Monet. 




I am certain he would be delighted beyond his wildest expectation how his life's work ended and how revered it is held today.... The man owns the best walls! 


It's all in the details

He had a light, one stroke touch in his later years, perhaps always.... perhaps more when it came to punctuation, because this is where I notice it most. He also moves in colour rhythms, curves, flowing movements often interrupted vertically or horizontally. Again, not a straight line but soft flowing movements composed of curves and counter curves of various sizes to balance and move the eye throughout his composition. 


Curves & movement


Transparency
    

His light, quick punctuation strokes enhanced, added to something observed or barely visible from a distance. Surly impulsive moves after periods of studying from his old ratty sofa. All together create a final 3-D effect and increased depth.... transparency.


My favorite part, besides his workspace was the use of dollies to move and support each canvas. 

There was another artist, who had a similar space, a lounge chair and big canvases with dolly's, Mark Rothko. Both heavy smokers also.... Mark Rothko is another of my favorites, an abstract expressionist and founder of colour field painting. Monet and Rothko at the end were communicators, magnetic painters of mood on a monumental scale, both wanting and demanding the best walls!

Conceited little devils with big visions on how they expected their art to be remembered and did something positive about it in their lifetime!

 Gave each center stage at the auction table!
Monet equals Money

The camera phone shared to the people

Monet a global master, the Icon of art shared daily from museums all over the world, to us who may not ever see his work closeup and personal. If it were not for the I-phone and social media, I wonder if Monet would be an Icon or just one of those old artists collecting dust in coffee table books. Harsh! But there was a time Monet was considered a decorative artist, read that somewhere as a kid. I guess propaganda from the old school guys.... :=) Jealous, I suppose because he fathered a popular art movement that survive in a BIG way.

Today it is nasty out, glad to be inside! I don't like starting a painting on depressing grey days. This post reintroduced me to U-tube streaming. I found this little 7-part jewel by BBC on Monet to entertain myself today.

BBC Fine Art Collection, Mad About Monet

SIPSwimming-in-Paint

No comments:

Post a Comment