Thursday, April 23, 2020

Canvas 1327, a second round!

Canvas 1327 had a short life as a working painting, it had a job, a part to play and did it well. As a painting it lacked a definable structure. The painting went south with the first brush stroke! In hindsight had I followed the reference more closely.... structure would exist. However, not looking for a duplication.


My reference and the way the sunlight hit any projection on the water's surface was important. The effect caused an iridescent glow on anything it encountered. The painting effect is on target with my vision and works well closeup and personal but fails distance and diminished light test!

Construction, the placement of the elements and relationship to one another as a hole failed the intent! I saw it clearly at the end of session-8 after taking some photos I removed the white middle center Koi adjacent to a lily pads in Photoshop first. (below)

 
I removed the Koi and some rose marks on the water surface (below). Then added some movement lines, then realized the bottom Koi were off too. Removed a few things there. Photoshop quickly exposed the weaknesses, made corrections before any hasty moves on my canvas.
 
Before

After

Cluttered before, the detail now has air to breath.... "less is more" :=)

Before

After

Gold Koi and bubbles has the light but needed air. As is destroyed the movement, making it indistinguishable at a distance. Not sure yet if I improved it, but I do like movement. And, more importantly passes the distance test!

The next few posts will be about fixing details on canvas1327 

SIPSwimming-in-Paint

No comments:

Post a Comment