Sunday, April 12, 2020

Pond Lace, colour chip finished!

 HAPPY EASTER!!

Yesterday saw a finish! Pond Lace was an interesting painting experience, originally a colour chip to a bigger story ahead.... In truth it was an exploratory painting, looking for the unknown. Normally preparatory work is on the small side not a 40x36 canvas. This was a first for me. I prefer to charge in by the seat of my pants not wasting any energy on study's. So, Pond Lace is another painting in a series of works leading to a unknown conclusion. Pond Lace is the ninth canvas in a series of Koi paintings started at the first of the year. The collection is based largely on water reflections, a fascination from my early teens still prevalent in my work. I suppose because of our C-19 confinement there is continuity in my thinking process.... dedicated focus is a good thing!

POND LACE 40x36 oil on linen 4/11/20 canvas 1326
 Details

Lower half is my favorite part
The lower portion is more of what I expect in the next painting. There is an iridescent quality of merging fish subtlety into the smooth water surface. The bubbles, as a counterbalance work well drawing the eye down.

 
As usual, I like to sleep on it. Then decide if finished with fresh eyes before thinking about the next.... or start boasting prematurely! Artist must be happy with their own work first and boast a bit about it when given a chance to do so! 

Yes, as expected a few marks were necessary. And now thinking about the next.... Last night I thought today would be time to pullout the billboard and get it on the easel. However, Pond Lace made it clear there still more to explore before a grand finale canvas. There are still a few wrinkles to work out on a larger canvas than a 40x36.   

1327-0, Linen canvas 50x44, 4-12-20
 
Scarlet napping, waiting for bunnies.... to play ball! 

Enjoy you Easter swimming-in-paint as I will on a new 50x44 canvas.:=)

SIPSwimming-in-Paint

No comments:

Post a Comment