Friday, May 15, 2020

Portrait one - prime time

Looks like I am on a new learning curve.... perhaps my Koi did need a break. The peonies are desperately trying to make a showing this year. We have a lily bloom on the deck pond.... finally! The portrait on my easel was left behind a bit. Not normal, but nothing is these days.   


I have a group of photos taken many years ago of my wife and I. They were in our prime-time. I suppose now is the time to use of them. If doing a portrait of someone or a major work better in prime-time. Hard not to agree with Henry the 8th on that score. His final likeness by Hobart was rejected by the King. "Do it over! Not as I am but was". Henry understood a painting had a life of its own and how he would be remembered.

 My prime-time version
 The Prime of Life, Brenda 24x20 oil on linen 5/15/20

  The Story Behind the Painting

So, my wife was the target here! I had enough photos and the bit older version I live with to make it happen! All this information helped modify her big smile into a soft one. My canvas is 24x20 linen taped to foam-core. I need an up-to-date consolidation of these photos I can work off. More practice is never a waste of time. All this could end up being.... practice!


After 4-hours of direct painting my likeness is off a bit.... not unhappy with the canvas at this point. I am a wet-in-wet painter regardless of what stage my painting is in.

2nd day, Crossroads project done. I had the rest of the week to work uninterrupted. My first step with fresh eyes was making corrections to the first day's work. The object is to make sure everything is in the right place. And, happy to say it is.... and the model agreed!


I made full detail shots on 8x10 glossy photo paper taped on canvas for consolidating details.

My 3rd day plan was to advance the portrait to a higher state of finish. I use quick drying Griffin Titanium white by Windsor-Newton because the paint needs to be dry to retain the fresh wet-in-wet look. There is another reason too, easily removed if something goes wrong.

Ouch! Unfortunately, the painting was dry and it was not my best day at the easel. Something was off all day.... not happy with the paint on the face so I carefully removed it with mineral spirits.... a bit too late. The hair and below her chin worked well enough and left. Not sure I can salvage the fresh paint look on her face. Not sure I should try either.

A wipe out! 
After sleeping on it, I made up my mind to finish, good or bad!

 4th Session, a signature.... until!

I noticed the left-side had a surprised "Cannot believe you said that" look! Laughing! I had to fix that in the morning!
 
 The 5th session was far enough for this canvas.

All day, I look at it from a distance and continued to make subtle changes until it worked! And, I got lucky, it did! So, time well spent. A nice beginning for the full length painting I am thinking of. The Sargenty type with volumes of satin and stuff. I will get to dress the lady one last time.

Next project!

SIPSwimming-in-Paint

No comments:

Post a Comment