Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My most useful tool, my calender


I’m about to enter my 4th year in my relatively new career as a professional artist. I followed my original business plan and happy to report it’s working. I’m however a long way from one plan goal of 5,000 paintings……5,000 you say!!…God is he serious? You bet your sweet tail I am! I am at #641 with 4359 to go....:::::=))))

As a product designer and manufacturer, I knew if I wanted to keep track of 5000 paintings, I would have to organize it. Like any product, I gave my very first painting a number along with a title. About 3-months in I started gearing the titles to internet search words. ie. #153 Venice - Dawn Tide. Google search "Venice - Dawn Tide" this might come up


 #153 Venice - Dawn tide 20x24 oil on canvas 9/30/2009
Dawn Tide was my first entry into Greenhouse Salon International 2010 exhibit in San Antonio Texas

Each  painting is  photographed digitally and placed in files broken down by year. At a glance, I can look at a large body of work in thumbnail or detail.

I have a hard copy in red binders with basic information....a hold over from other times.

At the end of the 1st year I started an inventory list in Excel.  Eventually I wanted to track and establish a value for the collection. I don't spend a lot of time on this - I update it every few months.

My most useful tool, my calender

My most useful tool however just evolved over time with my work flow. I print out a monthly calender - doing it forever. I use it as an appointment diary - instead of a client. Now I have a painting date. First I start with the painting number and size ie.  641 48x48. Then track start and finish dates. For example 641-1 (day one) 641-2 (day two) and so on. When it's finished I place an asterisk star ie 641-4*. I've been doing it for more than a year now.  At a glance I or anyone else will know the time line of each painting.

 February 2012 calender

 Detail

 March 2012 - detail showing progress #641-4 - day 5 is marked - But, shortly I have to go to the beach, so no paint today. Tomorrow I'll mark it as such and carry #641-5 on the March 7th.


4th day progress #641-4 No Title 48x48 Oil on linen

Now almost at 3-years, I'm only concerned about the calender and the images. With the certainty of computer death - I have all my images backed up on an external drive.

This only takes minutes if done along with each painting. Could you imagine trying to sort that mess out later…not me!

If you want your history protected........need I say more:=)


No comments:

Post a Comment