Friday, March 9, 2012

In search of better studio lighting

Days are starting to get longer - the sun has moved back to the left and beams on my glass palette again. Much better for my paintings. The colour key will raise and I'll be happier because good light produces cleaner paintings.

Studio lighting is problematic, but I saw something the other day which got my attention. LED Array daylight lamps.

The beach galley is looking into replacing the standard Halogens with LED lamps.....my experience with LED is not good. However this new lamp is incredible and much brighter. It's an Array light (looks like a shower head) by Rohs, Nexxus or Ledteck lighting AE26PA2083315 (another number #3RK6) Very close to daylight, no heat transfer almost no power requirement (18 watts) and could possibly make good studio lighting - so far my research has led me to two retail outlets, Home Depot and Lowe's. I'm going over this morning and check out their lamp supply. 

What I see online are mostly warm light and a few so called daylight lamps (typically a noticeable blue) I want the natural daylight I experienced with this particular lamp. I'm told by the gallery this is a new lamp number and so far my Google search using the number brings nothing up. I'm hoping this lamp is is on the shelf. If not I'll contact the same lighting rep the gallery is using. 

I want this quality of light in my studio. This lamp was so clean you could see the light beam hot spot more than 10 feet away in bright natural day light. The halogens might just as well have been turned off...useless against this lamp.  

When you shine it toward a painting, the difference is stunning! A painting which appeared tonally dull was clearly not! That's why it got my attention - it was like stage or out door movie lighting used on grey days. Cost seems to be from 35 to 70 a lamp and fits standard sockets. 

This is when a product solves a problem and fills a need, price becomes incidental.

More tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment