Sunday, March 4, 2012

Everything has a proper sequence – including art.



I like painting water and figures. Water, I was always interested in but, figures in any form is a new development. Portraits yes! From the very beginning, at a very early age, in a very rare moment, my mother gave me a quick art lesson, she explained the basics of drawing a face. As a teen I made a few bucks from it.....Thanks Mom!


#316 Coronado Surfing 11x14 Oil on panel - 3/30/2010

 My first surfing painting - ever! I was developing my water skills at the beginning of 2010 - so everything water and sea was fair game.


#413 Triathlon - Katie 2010 8x10 Oil on linen 12/5/2010 

 Quite possibly one if my first action figures  - sold a few prints off this one. It gets a lot of hits internationally each week. I know this, because I get a stat report every week from Fine Art America which sells Fine Art Prints  - good company - see link to right.

Now I have a beach gallery interested in my marine work, so I have a new reason to revisit this subject. The gallery found me via ads and articles in American Art Collector. I started a national ad campaign in 2011. I can say the ads are starting to work too.   

All I really had were small studies, a few 20x24's and one larger painting #583 Breaking Thunder, which they didn't ask for. In any event it was painted for a full page bleed ad and had a large vacant area at the top for print. None the less I carted a number of my early marine paintings down to the beach. They chose a number, but I knew none of these paintings would hold a wall, much less sell. They were simply too small and would get lost in the mosaic of other art. If this was going to be a successful venture for both the gallery and myself.....I would have to paint a subject they thought could sell in the local market and more importantly, work that would command instant attention and of course the galleries best walls! The only walls I'm interested in!

Driving back I formed a plan to make this thing work!


No comments:

Post a Comment