Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Significant Choice


"The Koi fish grows proportionately to the environment in which it lives"  -  Dr. Nido R. Qubein



# 461 Winter Koi 60x90 oil on linen - Cottrell Collection

Ten months ago my gallery needed an anchor piece for an annul exhibit revolving around a local Richmond Park known as Maymont. I was at the early stages of painting in larger formats. This co-coincided  with my Koi and Lily series, spurred on by my recent discovery of Maymont's Japanese Gardens and it's incredible  Koi Pond. 

I knew the space and what I would have to do - in this case, if, as an artist wanting the best wall, I had to paint a large statement piece. That meant in your face BIG. I wanted the best wall...period! 

I also knew this exhibit would draw an opening night crowd of 1000 to 1500....wonderful exposure.

I chose to paint Koi - I only had a short window of a few weeks to pull it off. As luck had it, I just received an order of 3-60x30 pre-stretched linen canvas panels - giving me my final size of 60x90 - if I had more panels this painting would have been even bigger.

This opportunity gave me a new sandbox to play in or as in my choice of Koi, a bigger pond to grow and expand my universe.

When Winter Koi was hung, an 800 pound gorilla entered the room. It wasn't painted with any monetary motive - in fact none of my paintings are. It was painted to fill a need. The gallery needed an anchor, I needed to prove to myself I could hold that wall and I did!

Winter Koi was eventually sold, when it filled the needs of others, a wall. And finally, and most important, a special meaning for it's new owners. The significance  was brought home when I received a surprise FedEx holding a very small book with a very powerful message "Seven Choices for Success and Significance" by author Dr. Nido R. Qubein  www.simpletruths.com  Dr Qubein is a noted Inspirational speaker and President of High Point University. It was a thank you gift for painting Winter Koi - way better than the check I received for it......it's never about money but, first filling a need! 

The simple secret to selling is first fill the need then if necessary talk money. When selling, art has a proper sequence - have a product to sell before looking for a gallery. Then make sure when you go in, you have painted for their best wall!

I made a significant choice, painting Winter Koi and the story is only at the beginning!




No comments:

Post a Comment