Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Number 643 - day one

Yesterday I started my beach commission. Like all my paintings it has a number and a history on my calender.  Number 643 will be an ethereal seascape, subtle but with a dramatic sunrise. Based on the painting below.

For this painting I allowed a maximum of 7-days - trust me, at this point no one wants an 8-day painting from me. Essentially I have always been an Alla prima painter and it's taken some serious work on my part to change it. I like clean, fresh looking work Alla prima gives. I also like to paint big so after 5 or 6 days regardless of size I start to lose it. I only work on one painting at a time and will not stop until it's finished and signed. When I start thinking of the next painting or I don't go to bed or wake up with it, its time to quit.

Reference #312 Evening walk 20x24 - cropped to a vertical.

I studied my bare white canvas all day Sunday between phone calls, e-mails and watching DVD footage of waves and beach themed movies.  All that and studies aside, I have to make the first move on it. The first brush stroke. What I'm really doing is getting familiar with the size, because in fact, at first, it's size at 66x56 is a bit intimidating.  Late Saturday with a few wash lines I defined my composition. In the morning as the sun rises, I'll make my first serious move. If I'm lucky the sun might even cooperate and become my inspiration. I frequently use the actual sun in my paintings. But, not today - much too bright!

643-1 a few wash lines to establish composition

Normally on a first day, I like a full uninterrupted day. However Monday I had to break for a few hours. I'll be the judge for an exhibit opening Friday night at Crossroads. I can work around it.


 643-1 Completed before going to Crossroads (blue tape is where sun will be)
I use Gamblin Neo Megilp called "Maroger" medium from the outset. Neo Megilp can be purchased from Jerry's in16 oz. bottles - My brush is a #10 Royal filbert (long bristle) soft grip SG4520 (yellow tip handle)

  643-1 Detail of sun (no paint on sun spot yet)

 643-1 Completion of afternoon session

In the morning I'll block-in the bottom 3rd, water, waves and beach with a sun reflection on the sand. The upper section will be dry and I'll do another pass on the clouds and sun. By days end we'll know if it will fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment