Monday, March 19, 2012

Number 643 - day two

On my second day - I only worked on the lower portion. My upper section was not totally dry and for the next steps, I need it to be. I want my paint to flow freely for a fresh wet into wet look as in Alla prima. I am not looking for a dry brush effect, a heavy paint texture, yes.

 #643-2 Natural daylight shot, no studio lighting. Here I've established my main wave and started working my blue into the yellow sun reflection on the beach- still using the same Royal brush

Some tools - Royal brush looks small. Very old palette knife from my teens, I use it to squeeze clean my brushes onto my palette. The razor blade is used to scrape and pile paint on my glass pallet.-that's a new development, now I get paint all over the place, especially my hand,. which is a problem . Jerry's sent me some samples of liquid gloves - I don't want to ware gloves so this might work.

Glass palette 24x30 - took awhile to get use to it - now I want a glass hand held palette when I'm on a step stool - not sure I've ever seen one, but it's definitely on my mind - may have to have it made.


 #643-2 Detail of my single main wave - typical of East coast early calm sea mornings - blue tape is my suns hot spot - I don't want any paint in that area until I'm ready - Important in creating wonderful luminous whites. I'm sure there are other ways, but this works for me.

I like clean colour and find working from a pure white canvas preferable to a stain out or toned canvas. It really gives you an entirely different look. Generally when I do tone, it's colour specific to my end result.


No comments:

Post a Comment