Friday, March 16, 2012

Talent is exceptional and hard to destroy

Today, March 16,2012 is my 3rd anniversary, my first painting #1 and my choice to follow a new professional career as an oil painter. I formed and followed a simple plan and it worked.

This was my 2nd go at it. I didn't have a plan the first time, no reason, my interest like most started at 5 and evolved into oil painting as a pre-teen, my attention span was a few hours - our work habits start young, I became an Alla prima painter until age 35. Then I made a choice to give up oil painting and give design my full attention.......good choice!

When I got out of the service in 1964 I had (1) wife and (2) boys. Painting in oil was the only tool I had to make a living, I sold paintings since I was 13 or 14, teens need money and that's how I got it. No question I would be an artist. I got a job, painted during the day or night. I took the graveyard shift because it allowed days free. It was not a demanding job, besides I wasn't looking for a long term relationship. I got lucky one night, I almost lost my right hand and if it had not been for the quick action of Alice working next to me, I would have. Thanks Alice!

As expected, a wake up call - it was basically my last day as factory worker. With my bandaged hand I quickly rented a small commercial building with substandard living space on the second floor.and opened a gallery. It's safe to say the next few years were interesting. In many respects, its typical how we all start out....no plan.

And, as expected it crashed and burned and at 24, I was less (1) wife, (2) boys, (1) gallery and now (1) divorce. Bummed around for a year (my first and only time) eventually I got bored with it and brushed my self-off  because I still had one thing hard to lose...Talent - interesting word (I actually had to look it up..LOL)

TALENT - 1. a special natural ability or aptitude: a talent for drawing. 2. a capacity for achievement or success; ability: young men of talent. 3. a talented person:

Yep! right word, when I got the ticket on that train, I got the whole car or as someone said recently "in spades".  My whole life, I ignored or brushed those comments aside - changing the subject. This time I didn't and responded "I know"

After 70 years, several crash and burns, Talent (1) wife (2) boys and (1) girl are still in place. I know this because they still put up with me and Talent clearly hasn't left!

My last painting completed 3/7/2012

#641 The Matador oil on linen 48x48

No comments:

Post a Comment