Sunday, August 19, 2012

Progressions 2 - Presentaion

Thursday I started my painting day off by working on framing ideas for the 1st set of Progressions 2. At the beginning of the series I pulled out (5) matching 3 1/2" pre-made frames I previously painted black.....good enough for temporary studio frames, certainly not a gallery. So using these frames as a starting point I placed the framed set on my painting shelf.....I wanted to spend the day studying the group as a whole while doing my artist chores. 

My 2nd step: Presentation - how?

 
My first impression...not bad! Done right they could  easily hold a wall.
Closeup View
1st Stage
2nd Stage
3rd Stage
4th Stage 
(a bit too cool)
5th Stage 
(suns placement and size not right - drat!)

At the end of my day I had a small issue with stage 4; it's a bit too cool. I need to do something about it sooner than later. Since it's dry,  a thin glaze might work. But looking at the painting closer, it's solid, so I'll leave it alone and possibly paint a new 4th stage. 

Also, looking at them vertically here, I don't like the placement of my sun in the 5th stage. It needs to be larger too and noticeably lined up side-by-side, which is how I expected to hang the collection. However, someone else, including myself, may want to do it vertical....so this clearly has to be fixed.

I did check my stages against an actual sunrise and I'm on target. But with a moving target where do you draw the line in the sand - in my case I need distinct stages so my next painting session I'll work on stages 4 & 5 until I get it right. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment