Sunday, August 12, 2012

A fun paintng day - Urbanna, Virginia

I pretty much prefer working in my studio as opposed to outdoors. It was a different story 3 1/2 years ago when I first started painting. Plein air was a daily occurrence because then painting was more about learning and observing - no question Plein air is perfect for that. 

So these days when I get the opportunity to paint a new outdoor subject it gets my attention. I previously painted the Urbanna Harbor but from photos in my studio...not plein air

The opportunity presented itself earlier this week with an invitation to paint at Urbanna Harbor from the balcony's of two favorite painting outdoor buddies...each have condos overlooking the harbor....Urbanna Harbor is truly one of the most picturesque sleepy harbor spots I've experienced in Virginia. It boasts wonderful sunrise and sunsets, large vistas and stellar light-filled water reflections.

I got up early - arriving in time to paint my favorite subject - the  sun. 

En Plein Air the following day at Urbanna Harbor

700 Urbanna Harbor Sunrise (en Plein air)  11x14 oil on linen (8-3-12)

The sun came up just behind a home blocking my water reflection - anyway it was the sun I wanted but sadly not a repeat of yesterdays slow saturated sunrise.

East view from our painting location - about 10 minutes before sunrise

 South view from our painting location - about 10 minutes before sunrise

  West view of the harbor from our painting location - about 10 minutes before sunrise
 
 The sun soon became it's normal blinding heat ball but the water had a nice sparkle so I gave it another shot anyway.

My sun view from our painting location 

701 Urbanna Harbor Sunrise (en Plein air) 8x10 oil on cotton panel (8-3-12)

I had an old 8x10 cotton panel left over in my paint box (not with an additional coat of primer) straight from the manufacturers package - nothing to lose?....well maybe. 

I paint with linen for a reason - cotton panels are typically too grainy and can absorb paint like a sponge without additional prime coats....it gives a different result than a good oil primed linen surface will.....at this point the sun was blinding and impossible - too late to change - no sparkle today so I closed it up and signed it. 

Hats and tons of sunblock later and just before the suns heat drove us from our comfy perch and a lovely lunch, I completed my final canvas of the day. It was an 11x11 of our south facing view, a view we all painted.......my playmates however were the smarter using a wide format - I might add with brilliant results - in the end my square didn't work well.


 South view

 702 Urbanna Harbor (en plein air) 11x11 oil on linen (8-3-12)

Aside from the shape, I came away with a fair colour chip easily used in the studio.  
I think some of these views are worth studio time and would be appreciated in larger gallery quality paintings. Urbanna has a nice gallery all of us have previously shown in....making it even more tempting:=)



No comments:

Post a Comment