Friday, August 17, 2012

Progressions 2 - with a plan with a goal

Yes, a plan and a goal - one of the most important things for a successful outcome and clearly in this case one which evolved from Progressions 1

I was ready to start armed with the concept of painting a full cohesive set of the suns progressions including marketing, presentation and selling the collection. 

My first step is a quality product - yes in this case art is a product and will be treated as such.

After studying my previous sunrise paintings I decided if they were to be hung or framed as a set I needed an odd number like (3) or (5) to look balanced....just good basic design principles. I needed at least five of the suns distinct stages so I opted for a set of (5). I also wanted to hold any reasonable size wall and as always when I paint to sell it's only for the best walls. 

Progressions 1 ended with painting 716. So early Tuesday morning, fully energized from a "mission accomplished",  I painted 717, 718, 719 and 720....yep! (4) 8x10s in one painting session - easier with a fresh start and a plan. 

I was also thinking of this as one painting not 5 separate panels so consistency was important to keep my energy going. Spreading the project out over a number of days would certainly dilute that. 




717 Sunrise - 3rd stage 8x10 oil on linen (8-14-12)

As you can see I started in the middle (stage 3) using the divide and conquer method working out from center thinking it would fortify my consistency, one of the main issues in Progressions 1


 718 Sunrise - 2nd stage 8x10 oil on linen (8-14-12)

  719 Sunrise - 1st stage 8x10 oil on linen (8-14-12)

 720 Sunrise - 4th stage 8x10 oil on linen (8-14-12)

At this point my energy was waning fast so knowing when to quit! I did! 

Wednesday morning bright and early and still energized from yesterdays work,  I competed the set by painting my 5th stage 721

  721 Sunrise - 5th stage 8x10 oil on linen (8-15-12)

Time to study and evaluate

During Progressions (1) I installed a long shelf (eye level) on the wall behind my easel to line my little 8x10 paintings up. Now I had a full set of (5) lined up in sequence to study and evaluate.


My painting shelf with all (5) stages 

The colour reproduction is not bad - the horizons look good and the suns ascension is acceptable so none of my main issues going in.........progress:=)

My first step completed I can contemplate the second step (how to present my little collection) while spending the rest of the day attending to other artist duties.


No comments:

Post a Comment