Friday, August 24, 2012

Progressions and Obsessions - Chapter 2

While I'm waiting for my final set of 8x10 Progression frames (now Progressions 1) I spent some time pondered my next move Progressions 2......I already knew it revolved around 683 a very large 60x96 (2) panel painting I did last month. The cadmium sky reminded me of one of my Progression sun stages.....as always going with the flow it was an obvious move on my part.

Originally it was to be (3) panels for an overall of 144" or 12' but I hit a snag - not because of its size but because it lacked a serious reason to continue on with it other than a 20 or 26 foot wall needing to be filled....but could I fit it into a cohesive series about the suns progressions of light and colour?

My starting point!

 
683 Maymont Koi 60x96 oil on linen  (2) panels modified 7-29-12
(2nd version - I used the original as an under-painting)

My shot is in full sun because I paint under LED lighting rated at 5000 - daylight is 6000. When I'm painting this is how I see it.

The concept is simple, each panel is a standalone painting which will work with adjacent panels. So, the theme and scale will remain constant, only the colour will subtly move into the next stage with each added panel covering the suns same range similar to my 8x10s - as a set it will read and flow like a monolithic painting....perhaps my version of an art installation...

In any event I won't sell it until done. I have no time limit or the number of panels set to finish. The panels (as completed) will be on exhibit as a unit in my gallery until finished. However, people can put a hold on their favorite panel or panels as it progresses along - subject to its final outcome of the set. 

My concept established Wednesday I started the 3rd 60x48 panel 730 to go with the (2) I already had - 730 and 683 is now part of the progressions series as possibly the 3rd stage. 

Progress at the end of 2nd day

 3-panels together
As you can see I modified the the left hand (middle here) from the original - I basically diluted the cadmium sky and merged my new 730 panel - I still had some open area for a pair of Koi.


730 on left and 683 (left panel) on right

Here is how I left it last night - the panels are connected and my Koi are emerging - normally I would finish a Koi in one complete move - however it was late so I blended it into my background as a starting point for my next session. I also no longer need the 1st panel and stored it. Now I'll continue as if this were a single painting until my left panel 730 is complete....hopefully tomorrow:=)


Detail of how I left the Koi

Later!


No comments:

Post a Comment