Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Progressions an obsesion with space - Chapter 1


I'm pretty much obsessed with painting and my progression series - my 2nd set of (5) is complete. I'm starting to wondering about the 3rd...how do I push this thing beyond my little 8x10s?

I think it has my interest because it's challenging. It's easy to paint the sun at any stage, however it's not easy in a set of (5) because it needs to be consistent, as though it were one unit or one painting (accomplished with the 2nd set)

My 2nd set about 7' wide will require a 9' to 10' wall. I rather like the frames butting each other. 

Imagine if you will Monet not painting all of his series from the same spot. They would have simply been single paintings with no broader meaning; nor would each series read right when shown for the first time by his gallery.

His public loved it! He sold these things fast too....so I'm thinking it was because they were originally painted the same size and presented as a unit. In that day and time it was revolutionary, as the impressionist movement was, and must have been attention getting when viewed as a cohesive collection - today it might be the equivalent of an art installation we can immerse ourselves in and not necessarily for sale (Liz Miller comes to mind).  However, in Monets case it was for sale + everyone had a choice or a favorite stage they could buy and they did! Brilliant marketing - planned or otherwise for their day.

Doing my progressions series I experience many inconsistency issues - solving each as presented. Eventually it evolved and with that an understanding of what would be required to move forward. 

Artists like Koi grow experientially to their environment and I know it to be true. Progressions would never have evolved beyond a set of (5) framed 8x10s hung as a set on a 10 or 12 foot gallery wall, sold and soon forgotten about. But, like I said, this has become an obsession and in my case will require space. Space until a month or so ago I had no hopes of ever having, much less creative control of, became available. 

 Existing Space

In my current gallery situation in Richmond (my main gallery) I have a very nice gallery space with creative control which I change out every two months. The space holds a dozen or so paintings depending on size.  It's well designed and at 192 sq. it works remarkably well and I painted to it!


New Space

Like my Koi if you give me space I'll grow and soon fill it. My new space is is almost 600 sq. ft with12'-0" high walls and 3 large clean feature walls 15', 20' and 26'

The challenge.....:::=)

 view from entrance
view to back feature wall
view back to entrance (on right) 

I knew instantly walking in the space the first time, I need this to move forward as an artist. Thank you Jenni...:=)) 

I can paint for this space.....although no idea what! And until yesterday I didn't know either..... 

When I think about this, it is too funny - seeing a space, watching a sunrise while writing an e-mail along with 2 small 8x10 impressions would eventually answer that question. I only realized yesterday, again while writing yet another e-mail (night painter) exactly what I was doing. I am literally treating my new gallery space as a design project and Progressions was becoming the main design element.  Like Monet and his series paintings, all the elements will be for sale - cracks me up!! Love it!! An obsession with a reason and with such simple beginnings too..

SOLD!!

My May feature painting sold yesterday and is heading to Boston.
  
 
648 Koi and Lily Pads 44x40 Oil on linen (4-11-12)


No comments:

Post a Comment