Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Eye Candy with a price


#693 Koi & Algae 24x24 oil on linen 7/26/2012 - framed $3250.

Do we list our prices or not? It never occurred to me, not to! Of course Yes!

I don't even understand the useless debate in the first place. If we're serious about making a living as professional artists or aspirations to do so, selling is part of it. Not listing our prices would seem at odds with the concept or even having a website to begin with. In my experience over the last 3 1/2 years I found few artists who didn't want to sell. So why not list our prices?
 
If  memory serves me right, I did at the front end and I made some sales too! My very first sale was off the internet...if we choose to, we can sell off the internet! At the time my price points were not established because I was still developing as an artist and selling was not the priority. However, you have to start pricing somewhere and test the markets. Later when my work reached gallery quality and galleries came into play I removed my prices. Not because a gallery requested it but because my pricing structure changed to accommodate the additional costs associated with galleries...so for a while my pricing was in a state of flux. In the real world this was really the beginning of establishing my worth in the market place as an artist.

Some galleries list prices and some don't. Here we're not talking about galleries and their policies, but our own as artists.  If we use the gallery system and have a website too, then our price points must take that into consideration and line up....no exceptions! 

When we post our price points it saves time and effort and we avoid disappointing a potential client if we're beyond their budget.....last thing anyone in retail wants, and make no mistake about it, as artists we are in retail! We have many reasons to paint, but when we sell, we sell a product, and the quality will establish our compensation and the market. The public makes the final decision.....they like to see the prices first, then chat.





No comments:

Post a Comment